German Cockneys!
First, for those who don't know what Cockney rhyming slang is a brief explanation (I learned it just this week myself...):
Cockney rhyming slang is an English slang that originated in the East End of London.
Rhyming slang developed as a way of obscuring the meaning of sentences to those who did not understand the slang. It works by replacing the word to be obscured with the first word of a phrase that rhymes with that word. For instance, "face" would be replaced by "boat", because face rhymes with "boat race".
Example: Have you looked at your boat in the mirror this morning? ("boat" to be replaced by "face" to decipher the meaning)
Inspired by John Collins I tried to make some myself and sent them to him. JC replied with a request to make some German Cockneys which I'm going to share with you all:
Ich arbeite in der oertlichen grossen kleinen. (Nachtmusik - goes with Lackfabrik) = Ich arbeite in der oertlichen grossen Lackfabrik.
I work at the local big little. (Nachtmusik - goes with lacquer factory)) = I work at the local big lacquer factory.
Vollsalz! (Salz und Pfeffer - Treffer) = Volltreffer!
Direct salt! (salt and pepper - hit) = Direct hit!
(note: Vollsalz is actually a German word!! It stands for 'table salt' (edible salt) as opposed to salt used to defrost roads and other forms of inedible salt...)
Der Matrose oeffnete die gute. (gute Reise - Schleuse) = Der Matrose oeffnete die Schleuse.
The sailor opened the good one. (good (safe) travel - watergate) = The sailor opened the watergate.
Cockney rhyming slang is an English slang that originated in the East End of London.
Rhyming slang developed as a way of obscuring the meaning of sentences to those who did not understand the slang. It works by replacing the word to be obscured with the first word of a phrase that rhymes with that word. For instance, "face" would be replaced by "boat", because face rhymes with "boat race".
Example: Have you looked at your boat in the mirror this morning? ("boat" to be replaced by "face" to decipher the meaning)
Inspired by John Collins I tried to make some myself and sent them to him. JC replied with a request to make some German Cockneys which I'm going to share with you all:
Ich arbeite in der oertlichen grossen kleinen. (Nachtmusik - goes with Lackfabrik) = Ich arbeite in der oertlichen grossen Lackfabrik.
I work at the local big little. (Nachtmusik - goes with lacquer factory)) = I work at the local big lacquer factory.
Vollsalz! (Salz und Pfeffer - Treffer) = Volltreffer!
Direct salt! (salt and pepper - hit) = Direct hit!
(note: Vollsalz is actually a German word!! It stands for 'table salt' (edible salt) as opposed to salt used to defrost roads and other forms of inedible salt...)
Der Matrose oeffnete die gute. (gute Reise - Schleuse) = Der Matrose oeffnete die Schleuse.
The sailor opened the good one. (good (safe) travel - watergate) = The sailor opened the watergate.