------ @@ ..:Global Bernie's Blog:.. @@ ------

**--- also check out my translations: http://globertran.blogspot.com ---**

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

One of my fondest memories...

Although I had the inclination before already, today I decided on the topic I'm gonna do for the next Japan essay: the religion one. So I started with some basic reading in the Reischauer and came across a little paragraph about street shrine festivals which made me recall one of the best days in my life: 29th August 2004 when I participated in one of those festivals myself. Carrying that shrine together with about 30 Japanese was such an overwhelming feeling of belonging, integration and mutual acceptance! Nationality didn't matter on that day, we all were the same human beings, we all were drenched by the same rain, we all were carrying the same shrine, we all were drunk on the same sake and shochu and we all were happy...
It is one of my fondest memories ever!
I was really looking forward to go to Japan again after two years this summer but since I've got a job now that's not so certain anymore. Depends on whether I can get holidays...
But anyways, in 2007 I'll go to Japan, no matter what. And then for a whole year, plenty of time to immerse myself in the culture! Yeah!!

2 Comments:

  • Bernhard, great site!.. Clare gave me the URL.

    You can have as much time off as you need to go visit Japan! No problem. We are a very flexible company!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, 18 February, 2006  

  • Thanks, Simon!

    That's really great... at my old company in Austria that would have been unthinkable, especially in summer!

    I've started to post the entries of my travel diary 2004 on a separate blog:
    http://bernieinjapan2004.blogspot.com

    By Blogger Global Bernie, at Saturday, 18 February, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home