------ @@ ..:Global Bernie's Blog:.. @@ ------

**--- also check out my translations: http://globertran.blogspot.com ---**

Friday, March 03, 2006

You say goodbye and I say hello...

So, yesterday it was a night at the Scream again, as on every Thursday night, but in some sense it was also a kind of welcome party for Jamie who's with us again. Strange, somehow, when you think that his farewell party was little more than a month ago...
Anyway, it was really fun, I went to Joel's flat at around six(?) where I found not only Joel but also Chris and Jamie sitting in front of the telly playing PS2. I joined them gladly and to Joel's plucking on the guitar and to a cup of sake we warmed up for the night.
Jamie's mum (on the phone to Jamie): What's that racket?
Jamie: It's a mate singing a love song to Bernhard.
Jamie's mum: It isn't that.... Colin?!
rofl
About an hour and half a bottle of Kick later we headed out for the Scream and while walking there we discussed the particularities of English in certain regions it's spoken in: interesting that the omnipresent fillword "like" can hardly be found in Southerner's English - it's rather "y'know" then.
At the Scream it was pints, laughter and, after quite some time, some pool again.
I somehow managed to stay awake till twelve but then I knew it was time to go back to my digs and sleep.
Today the phonetics lecture, usually the climax of a whole uni week, was held by John Collins - on Japanese phonetics in particular. JC is soo funny! I really loved his quote about the vowel-consonant ratio in different languages:
"One extreme is Czech, a really constipated language. On the other hand we have Hawaiian, which is rather suffering of diarrhea..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home