------ @@ ..:Global Bernie's Blog:.. @@ ------

**--- also check out my translations: http://globertran.blogspot.com ---**

Saturday, June 10, 2006

England vs. Paraguay: 1-0, Casualties: ??

Today, after basking in the sun for a while at St. John's Garden, I went to watch the England game on the big screen. As it was an England game of course it was on, good job, and already a half hour before kick-off a largt crowd had gathered on Clayton Square. The weather was fair and the atmosphere was cheerful and England's goal to an early 1:0 topped it all. After that the game went on moderately and none too much happened but the crowd, chanting and spraying beer all around, made up for it. I got a big splosh of some orangy-sticky substance, maybe Reef, over my head, yeah, judging by the taste it was probably Reef, but I really didn't mind and in the halftime brake I went to teh toilet to wash myself.
I didn't see too much of the second half though because some guys started throwing bottles through the air and one had to watch not only the screen but also the crowd if one didn't want to be hit. Still none too bad, although, when you take into account that on the screen the message "This is a no alcohol area, alcoholic beverages are liable to confiscation" and that that was accompanied by a bunch of drunken scousers throwing things, that's fuckin ridiculous! Nevertheless, still tolerable - but when they turned the screen off then as a reaction to the bottle throwers the situation escalated. A whole lot more bottles sailed through the air and the police sent in their anti-riot squad. Visored helmets, plastic shields, clubs, dogs, everything. I saw that I could take a few photos and then I made for my bike to get out of that madness.
Nothing too much of a reason to be proud to live in Liverpool and to support England but still - England - Paraguay: 1:0! Come on England!!!

7 Comments:

  • It wasn't Reef. You got jizzed on, my friend.

    Lol.

    By Blogger ミス・イギリス, at Saturday, 10 June, 2006  

  • Bernhard the war photographer! I just sat and watched it at home. Was gonna go over to a mate's and watch it, but got lazy lol. Plus my tv's bigger than his.

    By Blogger 1234321, at Sunday, 11 June, 2006  

  • I got jizzed on with something that tasted orangey? Reminds me of a joke:
    How do we know that god is a man? Easy. If god were a woman, sperm would taste like chocolate... rofl

    By Blogger Global Bernie, at Sunday, 11 June, 2006  

  • Yes, true to the motto 'good news is bad news' I stood until the last man was slaughtered ;-), to entertain you, dear readership, with photos. Which will be uploaded on Monday...

    By Blogger Global Bernie, at Sunday, 11 June, 2006  

  • Haven't you ever heard the song 'Chocolate Salted Balls'?

    Dunno who's dick you've been sucking!

    By Blogger ミス・イギリス, at Sunday, 11 June, 2006  

  • I'll just throw my two (y)en in and say that i thought it was an abhorrent display of pointless violence....... However i don't think football is to blame as if it were non-existent the hooligan element of society would find something else to latch on to, be it aikido or tiddlywinks.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wednesday, 14 June, 2006  

  • It was definitely not to blame on football. It was an ill combination of drunkenness and boredom (as nothing too much happened in the second half) and also a good deal of neglection of duty on the part of the police (who stood there watching people getting drunk while the screen kept displaying 'this is a no alcohol zone', ridiculous that) and maybe also the location wasn't chosen well. They might have as well put up a screen down at that stretch of green near the Liver Building, that terrain is much more open and all the retailers wouldn't have had to feel threatened then. And what triggered the escalation was that they bluntly turned the screen off - which caused most of the bottles to be trown. Well, a pity anyway that they've called off all further screenings now, as it could have been such nice events that bring people together (a thing that happens too little in Liverpool anyway)...

    By Blogger Global Bernie, at Wednesday, 14 June, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home