Pulp Fiction
This week I started writing Japanese subtitles to the best movie ever made - Pulp Fiction. It's a really good exercise, not only because you have to translate all that colloquial talk into Japanese but also because you have to transcribe the English original first - which is forcing me to understand it word for word. I've never fuckin been aware of how many damn little fill-words are in these motherfuckin sentences, y'know what I'm sayin...Anyway, here's one of my fav scenes, as Vince and Jules are sitting in their car and Vince tells Jules about the 'small differences' in Europe:
***Scene 2, Jules and Vince in the car***
Okay, so, tell me again about the hash-bars.
よし、またハシシバーについて教えてくれ。
Okay, which you wanna know?
うん、何が知りたい?
Yeah, it’s just legal there, right?
そこでマリファナが法的だね?
Yeah, it’s legal but it ain’t a hundred percent legal, you can’t walk into a restaurant, roll a joint and start puffin away. I mean, they want you to smoke at home or certain designated places.
法的だけど、100%法的であるわけじゃない。レストランなどに行ってマリファナたばこを吸ってはいけない。吸いたければ自分の家とか所定の場所で吸うべきなんだ。
Those are the hash-bars?
その場所はハシシバー?
Yeah, it works like this: yeah, it’s legal to buy it, it’s legal to own it and if you’re the proprietor of a hash-bar it’s legal to sell it. It’s legal to carry it but that doesn’t matter cause, take a load of this, alright, if you get stopped by a cop in Amsterdam, it’s illegal for them to search you. I mean, that’s a right the cops in Amsterdam don’t have.
うん、そういう制度だ:購買も所有も法的で、ハシシバーの持ち主ならば売ることも法的だ。持っていくのも法的だけど、それは関係ない。警官が人を止めたら、ボディーチェックはできないから。アムステルダムじゃ不法だ。
Oh man, I’m going, that’s what I’m going to do, I’m fuckin out.
まさか!そこに行くぜ!
I know you’d like it. But you know what the funny thing about Europe is?
気に入ると思ったよ。でも、ヨーロッパにほかにも面白いことがある。
What?
それは何なの?
It’s the little differences. I mean, they got the same shit over there that we got here but it’s, just there it’s a little different.
それはささいな違いだよ。基本的にはヨーロッパとアメリカが同じなんだけどささいな違いがある。
Example?
例をあげてくれ。
Alright, when you go walk into a movie theatre in Amsterdam, you buy a beer. And I don’t mean just like an old paper cup, I’m talking about a glass of beer. And in Paris, you can buy a beer in McDonalds. You know what they call a Quarterpounder with Cheese in Paris?
よっしゃ、たとえばアムステルダムで映画館に行ってビールを買うときだよ。安い紙コップじゃなくてガラスで出されるよ。そして、パリでは、マックドナルドでビールを買えるんだ。パリでクォーターパウンダー・ウィズ・チーズがなんというか分かる?
They don’t call it a Quarterpounder with Cheese?
クォーターパウンダー・ウィズ・チーズと言わないか?
No man, they got the metric system, they don’t even know what the fuck a Quarterpounder is.
言わないよ。パリにメートル法があるよ。クォーターパウンダーなんか分からない。
And what do they call it?
じゃあ、なんと言うか?
They call it ‘Royal with Cheese’.
「ロイヤル・ウィズ・チーズ」。
‘Royal with Cheese’?
「ロイヤル・ウィズ・チーズ」?
That’s right.
そのとおり。
What do they call a Big Mac?
ビッグマックは何というか?
A Big Mac’s a Big Mac but they call it ‘Le Big Mac’.
ビッグマックはビッグマックだけど、「ル・ビッグマック」というんだ。
‘Le Bigg Macce’… hahaha… What do they call a Whopper?
「ル・ビッグマック」、あはは。ウォッパーは何という?
I don’t know, I didn’t go into Burger King. You know what they put on French fries in Holland instead of ketchup?
バーガーキングに行ったことがなくて分からない。オランダでケチャップの代わりにフレンチ・フライに何を掛けるか分かる?
What?
何を?
Mayonnaise.
マヨネーズ。
Waaaah.
ゲーッ!
Hahaha, I’ve seen them doin it man, they fuckin drown them in this shit…
あはは、自分の目で見たよ。よくそれに浸漬するよ。
Yuuuuuck…
まずい!
14 Comments:
It's good mate, although a little bit text book styled i think. Will try and help out this week.:D
By
Chojin, at Tuesday, 13 June, 2006
J'ai une cadaux pour tu
(Here's a prezzie)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid
=1349875007224781951&q=Monty+Python
By
ミス・イギリス, at Tuesday, 13 June, 2006
"I know you’d like it. But you know what the funny thing about Europe is?"
I always thought he said "I know baby, you dig it the most." Kind of the same meaning though.
Also Bern, I've seen in a few movies where they use Kansai-ben to give a character a rough, colloquial feel.
By
Chojin, at Wednesday, 14 June, 2006
Thanks for your interest and help of course I can use any help I can get. Like that "I know baby, you dig it the most." , I had no chance understanding+transcribing that cause I never ever heard the phrase "dig it" before. It means like "like sthg.", doesn't it? So, that's what distinguishes me from native speakers, there are, like, 5% of the lines that I can't get literally, I can guess the meaning but I know that what I transcribe is not literally what they said. Know what I'm saying? Most of it I can understand after listening to it like 3 times though.
I found out that the whole thing is almost as much practice in English as it is practice in Japanese.
Good idea with the Kansai-ben although virtually impossible for me for I have as good as no knowledge of that particular dialect. If you can help me though and also with the informalisation of my hyojungo sentences I'd be most obliged.
Another problem I observed is that the original sentences are full to the bursting point with fill-words such as 'fuckin', 'motherfuckin', 'goddamn' etc., a concept that the Japanese language doesn't seem to have (at least to my knowledge). Maybe it is customary in Japanese subtitles to use Japanese dialects to give them that 'rough edge' and that would do the trick. Unfortunately I do not possess any English films with Jap subtitles...
"Hitler in England", wow, thanks Charlie, that was the best laugh I've had in a month (no kidding, I almost died when I saw it in the library 5 minutes ago)...
Was it part of the Flying Circus?
Anyway, strange how John Cleese speaks almost perfect German in the first scene and lapses into that 'fake-German' the British seem to be so fond of again when he gives that speech...
By
Global Bernie, at Wednesday, 14 June, 2006
Cutetwirler's french is shit anyway....... je t'ai une cadeau or je vous ai un cadeau.... i mean pour tu what the f**k is that? You could say j'ai une cadeau pour toi as toi is a disjunctive pronoun but pour tu? to think this troglodyte could be a french teacher....... I guess i can't insult her anymore as i'll get locked up.... ever read words in context by takao suzuki?
By
Anonymous, at Wednesday, 14 June, 2006
Aye, John Cleese is an educated guy... he has a law degree from cambridge... he's a hyperpolyglot..... I thought the translation was mighty fine and a hell of a lot better than the ones i've done... just a small suggestion ( not a criticism ) how abou incorporating yakuza japanese?
see www.jingai.com/yakuza/introduction.html (and yes, i am aware that that the word boryokudan is more commonly used than yakuza)
By
Anonymous, at Wednesday, 14 June, 2006
So, is that to say that that perfectly pronounced German part wasn't played in from a tape but was John Cleese's own? If so, respect!
Educated and law degree fine but being a hyperpolyglot is the most admirable thing I think (as I've studied English for some 15 years and still can't pronounce as appropriately)...
You're full of good websites aren't you? Looks like a pretty nice (and compact!) introduction, I might put in some of the basic stuff. Don't want to experiment too much though as I just might end up writing bullshit.
As for criticism, as long as it's constructive, critisise right away!
By
Global Bernie, at Wednesday, 14 June, 2006
Thank you, Josh, for your correction.
As you probably guessed, I did indeed know my error. It was an old joke of mine at school in French classes (long story). (the 'x' in cadeau was a genuine typo)
"Troglodyte" now there's a rare word. I think you'll find I am slowly giving up my hermit ways, and live in quite a nice area, if you don't mind the prostitutes. I think it's possible to find a word better suited to me.
As to my French ability, I can assure you that I am not as bad as my sentence above. After all, I do have an A level in the language, and, as you say, am 'teaching' it in a high school right now.
By
ミス・イギリス, at Wednesday, 14 June, 2006
all these wonderful arguments aside, is it possible to put furigana on the kanji you post in your entries bern? I was just wondering because my kanji skillz are rubbish, and just give up if i cant read one lol.
By
1234321, at Sunday, 18 June, 2006
to be honest, i've no idea how to do this. but let me instead recommend a wonderful web-tool - the 'hiragana megane' (http://www.hiragana.jp/) that lets you add hiragana not only to mine but to any japanese website...
By
Global Bernie, at Monday, 19 June, 2006
Re hyperpolyglots i was going to email this to u but i think everyone hould read it. I am going to find out who was the best polyglot ever, and write a book on it!*: Richard f burton spoke 29 languages, Guissepe Caspar Mezzofanti spoke 38 languages and 50 dialects(know the difference? I do!) with william jones john bowring and kenneth hale probaly speaking more. For what it's worth i speak a measly 13 and am really just a dropette in the vast ocean of polyglots! If anyone knows of any one who speaks 20+ languages please contact me.
*If anyone steals my idea i shall stab them to death without compunction ;)
By
Anonymous, at Monday, 19 June, 2006
Out of interest, how many known languages are there in the world?
By
1234321, at Monday, 19 June, 2006
Dunno but there's gotta be a bloody lot of em - even though there are languages dying all the time.
I guess I'll just step back and leave the qeustion for the omniscient psycho to answer...
By
Global Bernie, at Monday, 19 June, 2006
The omnicient psycho...... If i were human i might cry... i'm so flattered.... You probaly mean ominsavent but i'm still flattered... According to the great one known as josh (I was schitzophrenic but we're okay now :)) a language is a sytem of symbols and the rules (grammar) by which these symbols are manipulated. For the book i am defining a language as a system of oral/aural 'words' governed by rules used by a group of HUMANS. Although chimps have been taught the gestures of american sign language they cannot do the rules hence they can't use a language. dialects do not count as languages unless their vocab glosses differ by more than 20 pcentish to the core language. IE Kyushu dialect is a dialect where as okinawan is a language. The ethnologue(www.ethnologue.com) lists about 7,300 languages but i think this is bonkers as it states that there are 15 different languages in japan excluding English, lol. These languages are ainu, amamai oshima south, amami-oshima south. japanese, japanese sign language(await my seriously cool new link bern!), kikai, korean, kunigami, miyako, okinawan central, oki no erabu, toku no shima, yaeyama, yonaguni and yoron. check out www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=JP
in answer to your question chris i really have no bloody idea and should really stick to fighting in a steel cage!
Here are some major families afro-aiatic, altaic, austro-aiatic,austronesian, caucasian, dravidian, eskimo-aleut, indo-european, khoisan, na-dené, niger-congo, nilo-saharan, pama-nyungan, sino-tibetan, tai-kadai and Uralic.
Yours in international harmony,
psycho
By
Anonymous, at Tuesday, 20 June, 2006
Post a Comment
<< Home