------ @@ ..:Global Bernie's Blog:.. @@ ------

**--- also check out my translations: http://globertran.blogspot.com ---**

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Bond, James Bond.

Tonight I went to see the latest James Bond film, Casino Royale, which has been released last week (still enjoying the advantage of earlier release dates whilst remaining in Britain, haha) and I must say that I wasn't disappointed but also not overly impressed.
Somehow it seems to me that Bond films are one of the mirrors in life that reflect the change of time: take the eighties for example, when I was still a kid. Back then, Bond still had the KGB to play with and that's what made Bond movies much better in my opinion - Bond chasing some high-ranking KGB officials through the steppe of Kazakhstan or whatever part of the USSR. But of course the cold war is over, the KGB is no more and so the Bond makers had to rely solely on maniacs trying to take over the world. Which still worked quite fine in Tomorrow Never Dies but then - The World Is Not Enough was already not so good anymore, Die Another Day I can't remember very well and Casino Royale, well, it was just lacking in substance. I mean, Bond is chasing after a ridiculously high amount of money, fine, but no one's trying to seize world domination or anything. They did mention that the bad guy, Le Chiffre, was going to use the money to finance war and terrorism but there just wasn't enough attention paid to that point. And of course I was missing Q and his demonstration of technical gimmicks.
Anyway, I found it quite entertaining and had a really enjoyable evening.
Conclusion: I should go to the cinema more often.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home