------ @@ ..:Global Bernie's Blog:.. @@ ------

**--- also check out my translations: http://globertran.blogspot.com ---**

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Man's best friend!

Today I finally did something I've been planning to do for quite some time: I met up with Claudia whose acquaintance I made on an internet forum and went to the Viennese dog shelter, the TSH Vosendorf. Claudia's been sponsoring dogs there already for almost a year and has got two dogs at home and so she's got pretty much dog experience - and is extremely kindhearted. She showed me around in the animal shelter and we went for a walk with "her" dog, Chrisu. He's a three-year-old half-breed who's got, as far as I can tell, some boxer ancestry. Anyway, he's absolutely amicable and playful and apart from the fact that he still needs some socialisation (he knows "come here", "sit" and "lie down" but still has to learn how to walk on a lead properly) and doesn't like other male dogs too much, he would make a great companion.
Well, in my current situation I can't even think about keeping a dog myself as no pets are allowed where I live and also the time I have wouldn't really permit it but this is, in my opinion, a great way to do good for an animal and for myself and although a sponsored dog wouldn't be my dog and would still be placed into a family eventually and although parting would then be hard it's the knowledge that every dog with a placement has finally got the home he deserves and that I can pass on to helping the next dog - it's that knowledge that would make parting acceptable.
So I'm thinking about sponsoring a dog myself in the nearer future, that means paying some 15 quid a month for his welfare and for insurance, visiting "my" dog like twice a week, taking him for walks, training commands, playing with him and so on...

Mood of the moment: bursting with happiness and eagerness.

Taking the "Badener Bahn" local train to the dog shelter.

The TSH Vosendorf.

Not really Chrisu but bears enough resemblance. In the beginning Chrisu was still to nervous, so I didn't take photos and then we had so much fun that I simply forgot...


(Btw, to everyone who's been wondering about my grammar, I know that dogs are normally addressed "it" but as they have genders, character, and even sort of "personalities" I refuse to use the neutral article. Dogs are not things, therefore to me a dog is a "he" or a "she"...)

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home